Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Encourage One Another

I have been going through a Women of Faith study on my own and am now on chapter 6. It has been awesome and I find myself not wanting to put the study down. A few quotes from previous chapters really stuck out to me so I want to share those.

"Encouragment doesn't have to be profound...It just needs to be expressed." -Barbara Johnson
I think this is so true because I think that many times we believe that in order to encourage someone we have to say these profound words and have this long speech but in reality a phone call, a short e-mail, or even a card with a short note saying I was thinking of you can be just as encouraging to someone. This statement really challenged me because there are a lot of individuals that I see that really look like they could use some encouragment and I do nothing because I feel inadequate and after reading this, I was like, I can do that...I can send a short messsage or phone call just to say hi, I was thinking of you...is there anything I can be praying for you.
Another statement that stuck out to me was by Thelma Wells.
"When we try to do and act like other people, we are acting in an unauthorized capacity. When we try to be someone we're not, when we try to emulate gifts, skills, and characteristics that are not ours, we abuse the authority we have been given as individuals whom God has blessed with a unique purpose."
This I believe is talking about us encouraging others with the gifts that God has given to each of us. God has given each of us a unique gift and we are to be good stewards of those gifts and use them. (1 peter 4:10). According to 1 Corinthians 14:12 we are given gifts for a purpose...to build up others and encourage the church/others. By using our gifts we also grow closer to Christ...shouldn't this be our ultimate goal in life? To have a deep meaningful walk with our Saviour?
This road is tough but I know that if I strive to live this out, God will be there to pick me up a long the way. I hope that these words will challenge/encourage you as they have me.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kim, didn't know you had a blog until today! "Encouragement doesn't need to be profound, it just needs to be expressed." I love this! I often find myself not saying anything because I don't think it is "godly" enough or will sound cliche, but all my encouraging thoughts towards someone do no good unless I just simply get over myself and express them! Thanks for sharing!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete