Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Your Experience Can Encourage Others

"I am sending Him to you for this reason - that you will know how we are, and He can encourage you." Ephesians 6:22

When I did my study this morning, all I could think of is, WOW...I have to share this. So, this comes from my study this morning.

So many young women believe they are the only ones who have whatever particular problem they may be facing. A young mother might look at another woman who seems to have it all together. She may seem happily married, peaceful, confident, and joyful. Her kids are neat and respectful, have whole chapters of Scripture memorized, and always wearing matching socks. Meanwhile, the young mother can barely get the family out the door on Sunday mornings, struggles with a colicky baby and a two-year-old who bites, and is teetering somewhere between depression and hysteria. This poor, young lady feels overwhelmed, frustrated, panicky, and desperate -- and all she needs to know is that she is not alone. All she would need is for an older, wiser, woman to come alongside her and let her know: "I've been through what you're going through now. Hang in there. It'll be okay. What I am now is a culmination of all of my life thus far. It didn't happen overnight. What's more, what I am now is not the pinnacle of my life, for God is still working in my heart. God is working in your life too!"

We should not try to hide all the bumps we've hit a long life's road. We've all had embarrassing moments. We've all made mistakes. God doesn't want us to hide our failures from the world so we come off looking good. He wants us to learn from those struggles, and then use them to encourage those around us. In this way, our stories become less about us, and more about how God has proved faithful.

There isn't much more that I can add to this except that it really challenged me. Challenged me to desire even more to share my stories how God remained faithful in each of those situations. Our stories don't have to be these huge obstacles but even the little things matter like encouraging a mom who is potty training a little one....We all know lots of encouragment is welcomed during those days :). I think it's important to share with people of how God proved faithful in our lives and how He has carried us through and to encourage them that God is right there next to them, too...even in the daily challenges of life. Sheila Walsh says, "Vital life lessons cannot be learned in obscurity and isolation. They are learned in community as we are forced to face ourselves as we really are and love enough to want to change."

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff hon! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your study sounds familiar...either because I've read it before or maybe I've just felt it before! lol.....either way, it is good to remember to encourage others and to remember that God created us for community. I love Sheila Walsh's quote!

    ReplyDelete